Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ricotta and Arugula Roulade

Where the first Gutsy Foods menu was meant for linebackers (or couch potatoes who like to watch linebackers in action), the second was meant for ladies. This roulade is the quintessential dish for a light ladies' lunch.
I wondered about the flavors in this recipe. With the exception of arugula, the ingredients were all pretty bland. And after I tasted my arugula, which didn't have that fresh, peppery bite that good arugula should have, I wondered even more. I decided to add some sun-dried tomatoes, as suggested in the variation using spinach instead of arugula.
When Jim saw me strewing sun-dried tomatoes over the flat roulade, he thought I was making some kind of pizza, and, because he loves pizza, he was thrilled. I told him it wasn't going to be anything like a pizza. "Calzone?" he asked hopefully. "Nope," I said. "More like an unsweetened sponge cake." He didn't think that sounded as good as pizza.
Neither did I, to tell the truth.
The already-baked sponge rolled up easily (I was expecting a lot of falling apart and ineffective patching), and there it was, ready to eat.

I don't think Jim ever erased the notion that he was having pizza from his mind, because he was really not very happy about this meal. "It's too light and insubstantial," he said. "I'm not feeling satisfied." Fortunately, I had a dessert to offer him. But not the Quindim, which was an optional part of the Gutsy Cooks menu. It sounded interesting to me, but coconut is one of Jim's least favorite food items and Quindim, a Brazilian dish, is rife with coconut--coconut milk, fresh coconut, and dessicated coconut. I'll save that for another day.

Taste-O-Meter rating:
Jim: 4. Maybe if it had a sauce or something, I'd give it a 5.
Marie: 6. A useful dish to know about, but not one that I'm pining to eat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment