Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Broth-Braised Potatoes - French Fridays with Dorie


A recipe like this is why many people think that French cuisine is the greatest ever. Potatoes - the simplest, most earthy vegetable - cooked simply with a few basic flavor enhancers thrown in (literally) turn into a glorious dish that you can't stop thinking about. Why do we make boiled potatoes when, with just a little more effort, you can end up with something like this?


You're always likely to have a few cloves of garlic on hand. Mine weren't even in pristine shape, but they were good enough to flavor the broth.


And I had a lemon that was buried in the fruit drawer. A little sad-looking, but perfectly fine for giving up a wide swath of peel.


I happened to have both fresh thyme and fresh rosemary in my crisper. I bought them both for recipes I made weeks ago. Again, they were both somewhat tired-looking, but not too tired to be tossed in simmering water.


Those few simple things were enough to turn boiled potatoes into something good enough to be the star of the show.


When the potatoes were fork-tender, I took the lid off, turned up the heat, and let most of the liquid boil away. They turned into what looked like a real braise: lighly coated in olive oil, with the potatoes on the bottom of the pan picking up a little crust, and with just a tiny bit of liquid for flavor. I'm glad I have enough left to use Dorie's suggestion of turning leftovers into hash browns. That'll come up later in the week, or maybe for Sunday breakfast. I really want to eat them again.

18 comments:

  1. yea..i think it would be great to turn them into hash browns :) I shall try them out the next time I make these again :) Love the easy and tasty flavor of this dish. I ate it as a stand alone dish and it was yum yum . Have a nice weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flavors in this potato dish...takes simple potatoes and makes them grand. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How the heck did I miss the hash brown suggestion? I bet these would have been delicious as hash browns. Oh well, guess I'll just have to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love the sound of the hash browns. You must post them when they are done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the flavor and smell of the broth. Maybe my potatoes were too waxy. I found myself hoping they would turn out tastier. I'll probably hash brown the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these would make great hash browns but we ate them all for dinner:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet these tasted even better with the lemon peel. I had to skip that step because I didn't have a lemon on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hash browns do sound inviting. I went the way of the frittata because I finally have a
    frying pan that i can use in the oven. I have been having fun trying different ways of
    making frittatas and really enjoying it. Your results look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hash browns sound like a great plan for leftovers...
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree about the simple techniques that make all the difference. That's why we love Dorie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nicely done! I really liked these, too. What a wonderful way to infuse flavor.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! These were a real winner, and I agree why boil when with a little more effort you end up with a terrifically tasty potato.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That little brown crusty part is the best. They would be so delicious as hash browns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great potato dish, low in fat, very flavorful and simple to make! Leftovers are even better;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you. This can be made with usual pantry / refrigerator items. I even had a few potatoes standing by and didn't have to go to the store for anything. I loved that about this recipe. I also love how you cooked them by boiling off most of the liquid. I still had quite a bit left in the pot, but I'm going to try your technique because a little crust sounds perfect. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice summary of why we want to learn more about French cooking. I totally agree. We like these potatoes at our house and will make them often. Isn't it great to use up kinda old stuff and turn it into something so good?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures are great! We loved this one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your potatoes look so good you are inspiring me to give them a 2nd chance...plus if they fall short I will ask Nana to turn them into another frittata !!

    ReplyDelete