Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mussels and Chorizo - French Fridays with Dorie


I didn't have time to make this during the week, so I waited until Friday. Then I discovered that it's actually a perfect weeknight dinner because it takes no time at all. What takes the longest is to stop at the seafood store and decide whether to get Prince Edward Island or Mediterranean mussels (I went for the P.E.I.) and whether I was really going to need two pouonds for a half recipe. (No. I got a pound and a half, and a pound would have been fine).


Then it takes 3 minutes to dice the onions, peppers, and garlic and another 5 to saute them. Meanwhile, cut up the chorizo sausages. Another 5 to simmer the sausages and tomatoes.


The scariest part is brushing the mussels. Mine were pretty clean and beardless, but I was acutely aware that they were alive. (Except for those that had already kicked the bucket). I don't do mussels often enough to be used to them. Sometimes I thought one was moving. Then I said, "Eek!" and dropped it in the sink. Jim asked me if it bit me. "No," I said, "but I think it tried to."


I was also acutely aware that I was killing them when I dropped them into the pot. "Sorry," I told them. Jim said he didn't believe I was sorry at all, but I was. At least sorry that someone else wasn't killing so they would have it on their conscience. I don't know what I'm going to do when we come to Dorie's lobster recipe.


But the poor little guys died for a good cause--although if I were the one being boiled, I'd probably be less sanguine about the goodness of the cause. The mussels were sweet and tender, and paired perfectly with the spicy Chorizo sausage. The tomato-y broth was flavorful. We chose the option of sopping it up with sourdough bread, but pasta would have been great too. I'd like to try it with shrimp, as some others did, which would be less traumatic than the mussels.


I also managed to get caught up with the Gorgonzola-apple quiche, which I made in a pie pan instart of as a tart. I didn't think I'd be keen on that combination, but it was quite good. AND I caught up on the quatre-quarts cake as well, which was astonishingly good. But I forgot to take pictures of it. I hope it still counts, even without proof that I made it. If not, I could probably be persuaded to make it again.

7 comments:

  1. Nice to see you have a sense of humor while cooking. Everything certainly
    looks delicious. Tricia and I both enjoyed this even though we used
    different fish. I went with the shrimp only because hubby can't touch
    a mussel. Your quiche looks great, that was the most delicious quiche
    I have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job with this week's recipe and the catchup ones. I agree with you on all three recipes. I was surprised that the quiche flavors actually worked together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me smiling through the whole story... up until you reminded me of the lobster. Now that will be a first for me! Your pictures are wonderful, especially the third one with the chorizo/tomatoey goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! All I can think of now is the scene from Julie and & Julia: "Lobster killer, lobster killer"... I think I will let the market take care of the making the lobsters no longer alive if I can get away with it! For some reason, I had no idea my mussels were still alive. Glad I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo-hoo! Another Dorista using PEI mussels! I used them as well. Your dish turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you've had quite the busy time lately! I'm also loving your use of mussels from my homeland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I was the only one to apologize to the mussels! Loved your story and it looks like your mussels turned out beautifully. I loved the Gorgonzola-apple quiche, too. The savoury tarts and quiches in this book have been frequent repeat recipes in my house.

    ReplyDelete